Thursday, November 5, 2009

Our Uncle Gordon

Our Uncle Gordon, the husband of my dad's sister, passed away on November 2, 2009 after battling Leukemia. He has always been a great and brilliant man. My cousin Rand shares a little about him and their difficult experience here.

I just thought I would share a recent memory that I have of him. When Maren was married in the summer of 2008, my Uncle Gordon was in remission and was in attendance at all of the days festivities. Maren's reception was outdoors on a golf course that did not typically handle weddings. Needless to say, there was a lot of set up and take down for the beautiful event. My sweet Uncle Gordon insisted on staying until the very last lantern was taken down and last chair folded, even until the midnight hours. He could have used one of thousands of excuses; however, he was there even when the sprinklers came on and began to soak us all. Yes, just one small example of how he has always been a great and brilliant man. I love the Lewis family and wish I could be there to show my support this weekend.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I want to mimic Amanda's words. Uncle Gordan really is amazing. I just remember him always being around at family events helping behind the scenes and quietly observing all of the typical Crane family antics. When you were lucky to have a moment to chat with Uncle Gordan it was meaningful. It was never meaningless chatter. It always made you think about the conversation long after it was over. He wanted to know what you were up and all the details. He was very motivational. I remember always wanting to be better after those conversations. We will all miss Uncle Gordan and pray for those closest to him at this time. We wish we could be with them during this difficult time.

em said...

Nicely written Amanda. We missed you this weekend and I know you really wish you could've been there. When I'm a bit less emotional I plan to add to your memory. What a wonderful man. I will say that one favorite memory was when he came to speak at byu and took me, Laura and Sara to dinner. He asked as many questions to me as to them and made me feel so welcome. It was close to finals and he brought this peace... He always seemed to steady Sara too with future dilemas. We are lucky to have had him in our lives. I will continue to benefit from his prosperity. Seems both Sara and Laura have that same calming effect on me and after the weekend with them I find myself already more centered. Those lewis' just know how to love. I'm proud of their strength these last years and the funeral was beautiful.