Thursday, December 11, 2008

Wisdom Teeth

So I just want to say that in trial we learn who our best friends are. I was so worried when I learned I'd have to get my wisdom teeth out and worried about who would help me... I never knew how many options I had. Crista offered immediately to do whatever was needed and that on top of her three children. Gardner stepped in as well. However, I have to say that it was so easy and natural to accept dad's offer. All of you know that whenever you need him you're never let down.

Early Tuesday morning he picked me up at home and drove me to the surgeon's office and then gave me the sweetest blessing - which I needed for more than just the upcoming extraction. I immediately felt the first calm of my whole season... He brought a book (or I should say two portions of a book - ha ha) and sat patiently in the waiting room. As they put me under I knew that I'd be fine as long as he was there.

After, he drove me back to O-town and dropped me off at home once he'd settled me on the couch, only to go back for my prescriptions. Before he left he turned up the heater in the game room so it'd be warm for me. He came home with a shake and all of my pills and sat and quietly read until I woke up again. Then he scooped some shake and set out my pills and settled me back on the couch. Mom called on the way home from work and made a special trip to the grocery store for yogurt and mashed potatoes and anything else I could dream of. Later that night they watched tv with me and made sure I'd eaten again.

The next day he came home from work to eat lunch with me and then left work early to bring me back to Salt Lake so I could work the next day. I should mention that in all of this he carried the bags I'd over-packed and opened all the doors. I love that he's such a gentleman even with his daughters.

The other thing is that dad is just so easy to be with... especially when you don't feel well. He spoils you and makes you feel pretty and loved even when you're puffy and swollen and probably (especially knowing me) complaining.

I also received numerous calls that whole day from all of my sisters - ALL of them - checking to see how I was doing. Crista, Rachel, Amanda, and Maren, I still don't feel super great, but to be honest I feel better than when I had wisdom teeth. Its not often in life we get chances to be loved so much.

Thank you all for loving me so much! In all of this I also want to point out that being helped by dad reminded me of the tens of thousands of times in the past when I've needed him and he's pulled through and not even made it seem like a big deal. He forgets to remind you of the sacrifices he makes when he's helping. Not once during those wisdom teeth days did he make it seem like he needed or wanted to be elsewhere.

5 comments:

Brian and Elizabeth Shelley said...

How nice of your Dad! He reminds me a lot of my Dad too! Miss you em! Can't wait to see you at the family Christmas party!

kathleen said...

I am not surprized at what my brother did and has done for his children. We were reared by an amazing mother who served her children to the max rarely taking time for herself. Isn't family great?

So glad Emily you are doing better now that those wisdom teeth are out. I know that you serve and do lots of nice things for your family as well. We love you.

Aunt Kathleen

kathleen said...

I am not surprized at what my brother did and has done for his children. We were reared by an amazing mother who served her children to the max rarely taking time for herself. Isn't family great?

So glad Emily you are doing better now that those wisdom teeth are out. I know that you serve and do lots of nice things for your family as well. We love you.

Aunt Kathleen

Rachel said...

I am glad that you are feeling great! I love you and miss you all. Isn't our Dad the best! Really, he is! I can't wait to see him and Mom and hopefully you at the airport Wednesday!! Yeah!

Rachel said...

I am glad that you are feeling great! I love you and miss you all. Isn't our Dad the best! Really, he is! I can't wait to see him and Mom and hopefully you at the airport Wednesday!! Yeah!