Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Chicago Attitude

In most of our encounters with Chicogoans (is that a word?), we have met some really, really nice people, but every once in a while you run across what Mike and I have come to call the "Chicago Attitude." One of these experiences took place this morning when I had to drive a mile or so to a post office to pick up a package that would not fit in our 4X4 inch post box. Amazingly, there was no one in line so I found the sign that said, "Line begins here" and waited for the next available teller. Well, a woman a minute later came and stood on the other side of the sign. In my mind I thought, well I'm sure she will just let me go first to the first teller because that's just the way it works. Well, then one of the post office workers shouted with Chicago attitude, "There's only one line," and pointed to where the woman was standing. Well, thinking the woman next to me understood the first come first serve rule and at least some general kindness rule, I asked her if it was okay if I got in line in front of her because I had gotten there before her. She turned to me and said, "Well, you weren't in the right line." I was stunned! To make matters worse, I got to the front of the line finally, and went to pick up my package and the woman said, "Well, do you have an ID?" I said, "No, do I need one because I have the pickup package form?" She told me that I did and that I could not pick up my package! What a trip to the post office. As I pulled onto the road, I saw the woman who did not allow me to merge, with her car door open, possibly obstructing traffic. I just layed on my horn with a little Chicago Attitude!

1 comment:

Maren said...

haha this is so hilarious!
Amanda, I love when you stand up for yourself! Not alot of things make you mad, but when they do, THEY DO!
I love you guys!!