Saturday, October 13, 2007

I almost forgot!

I have a class where we have to write a little blurb every day. It doesn't even matter what it is, just something we care about. So on Thursday I wrote about this:

so.. last night me and my roommate and friend Brooke went to the viewing of a documentary called Invisible Children. Many of you have probably seen this shocking film about the conflict in N. Uganda. I was sickened by my own life as I sat in the lecture hall. These children know nothing but fear. They were born into it, and unless something is done they will die never knowing any other way of life. It was very humbling when I realized that these kids eat maybe once a day, if they're lucky, and sleep packed like sardines in hospitals or at bus stops anywhere to be safe from being abducted and forced into the rebel forces. These children walk many miles every night into town for protection. By themselves.

I worry about eating TOO MUCH. I worry about school. These children never even have the opportunity to go to school. Every night they just hope they make it through the night and in the morning if they have they join together and dance and praise God. The people in Uganda PLEAD for help from the US. They cannot understand how a country as blessed as ours would sit back and continue to do nothing.

As students, it may seem difficult to make a difference, but if we don't, WHO WILL? So, get involved. visit invisiblechildren.com or help your school start a club to raise money to build schools. go to s4s.invisiblechildren.com for details. Just do SOMETHING. Let's not continue to be content with ignorance.I believe it's our OBLIGATION as a blessed country to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

thanks
maren

invisiblechildren.com

spread the word.
raise awareness.
make a difference.
change the world.

Anway, watching the film and then doing a little research afterwards really changed my life I think. I talked to the lady that came to present the video to us. She's in college and came with just 2 other kids in a black van. They're traveling all over the west because it's something they believe in. It was amazing. She talked to me about starting a club on campus called Schools for Schools where our school raises money to start schools in an area called Gulu. So, alot of other kids who are as moved by the cause as I am started it. Who knows how it will go, but it sure feels good. It blows mind to see what is still happening in this world.
really though. go to the invisible children website and buy some bracelets. They look like the one that Amanda gave me from S. Africa, made out of elephant hair. But these ones are made by people in a refugee camp called Acholi-land as their only means of making a living. Each bracelet, depending on the color you buy, comes with a DVD, a story of a different child. Mine is black and green and the story is about a girl named Grace who is a child who was forced to be married and is now a child mother. Very sad. Very touching.
this is long enough. I still love you all and I very much need some sleep!
goodnight.

No comments: